Stop Overeating Tips for Moms – I Need Your Input

Today I need a special favors from the moms who read this blog. I am writing a new book called Stop Overeating Tips for Moms. What are the times you, particularly as a mom, find yourself overeating? Is it stress-induced? Is it because you feel guilty throwing away food so you eat what your kids don’t?

I’d love your input. I want to make sure my new book fully meets the needs of moms who need support to stop overeating (conscious or unconscious). We moms all want to look and feel our best, but sometimes we cave into life’s challenges and cope by eating food, and too much of it. This book will be designed to meet moms with whatever challenges they struggle with and provide them with strategies to conquer those challenges.

Bring on the input moms! Thanks :)

8 Responses to Stop Overeating Tips for Moms – I Need Your Input
  1. Jennifer Bright Reich
    August 27, 2010 | 6:06 pm

Hi! This is a great topic for a book, and I wish you tremendous success!

I’m a mom of five- and three-year-old sons and cofounder of http://www.MommyMDGuides.com and coauthor of the Mommy MD Guide to Pregnancy and Birth–so like all moms, I’m quite busy! Most days I forget to eat breakfast. No time for snacks! Because I eat lunch and supper with my family, I eat very well to set a good example for them and to serve healthy meals.

But at night, after my sons are asleep, especially if my husband is working nights, it’s just me, the TV, and the fridge, and look out! It’s hard not to snack, and snack, and snack. After a hard day taking care of others, I deserve it, no? I’ve found a few strategies help to keep the mindless munching at bay:

I always have nuts on hand, and that’s my go-to night time snack. I find they satisfy my hunger, and my salt cravings. I can also limit myself to a sensible 1/4 cup.

I try to never ever have my trigger foods onhand, which are chips, crackers, dips, pizza, takeout Chinese–anything crunchy and salty.

As soon as I finish my one snack, I brush my teeth and/or chew gum.

After watching around one tv show, I usually go upstairs to bed to read. That way I’m far away from the tv and my hands are busy reading. Plus who wants to get grease stains on a nice new book.

Thanks and again best wishes on your sure-to-be-a-bestselling book! Jennifer

2. Shelley Ellis
    August 27, 2010 | 6:10 pm

When my oldest son was little, I kept certain food at home for “him” and most of it was unhealthy. I wanted all of us to eat healthier but I struggled with my own will power when there was junk food in the house. So…I threw it all out and stopped buying it. I bought healthier snack foods and even created a spot in the fridge and a shelf in the pantry to make it easy for the kids to find their snack food.

It was funny when as a teenager he brought some friends over and as they were scrounging through the pantry, they found some pop tarts (I had sent my husband to the store and he had purchased them…for the “kids”). My son’s friends said “you have POP TARTS in your cabinet, that’s like a SIN in your house!!” But it was nice to know that we had a reputation for eating healthy and living a healthier lifestyle.

To this day, I can’t buy cookies. The kids never get any. I will eat them all before they even know about them.

It really is isn’t hard to eat healthier if you have a fridge and cabinet stocked with a variety of healthy foods. But throw some cokes or ice cream or cookies into the fridge or cabinet and those will be the first foods to be eaten in my house.

The moral…don’t buy junk food in the first place. If you have a party, send the junk food home with someone else. If you somehow get stuck with that food…THROW it all away, send it to the office or school…but get the bad food OUT of your house!

3. E. N. Joy
    August 27, 2010 | 6:35 pm

I thought I was the only mom who ate her children’s leftover food on their plates because other kids were starving all over the world and it ought to be a crime to throw out even just a crust of bread. God forbid they try to throw out that stuffed crust pizza from pizza hut that I had to pay an extra dollar for. I’ll admit, I’ve lost 50 pounds on weightwatchers (yay me). I’ve changed my eating habits such as fixing smaller portions. But guess what? What helped me the most was fixing smaller portions for my kids. Before I’d pile it on in order to eliminate those dreadful trips back and forth to the stove for refills. Now I look at it as a little extra excercise. Not to mention that with smaller portions, there’s rarely anything left over on my kids’ plate for me to devour. If you are a mom who has this problem, try doing what I did. It just might work for you too!

4. Camille
    August 27, 2010 | 9:39 pm

Thank you, this was helpful!

5. Camille
    August 27, 2010 | 9:41 pm

This is powerful. It’s okay to throw it away, and it’s okay to just say NO and not let that food step foot into your house (if food had feet :) People have a choice about what they purchase and keep in their house. Thanks for your input.

6. Camille
    August 27, 2010 | 9:42 pm

This is great. I am going to contact you and others who have commented who are interested in having a short interview for my book. We can definitely include your website in there. I love your thoughts and appreciate your help!

7. Deborah Chamberlain
    August 28, 2010 | 3:50 pm

My mother and her family were British subjects living in the Philippines during WWII so when the Japanese invaded, they were put into a concentration camp. At first food was provided, but as the war went on, the Japanese did not provide food. So the POW’s ate whatever they could get. That experience was so powerful, that my siblings and I were fed more than what we wanted – forced to take second helpings, eat everything that was put on our plates, save food that should have been thrown out. It still pains me to toss stuff that is expired and it took a lot of work to bring myself to skip second helpings. With the help of my daughter, when she became more weight (and health) conscious, we changed our eating habits. I lost 100 pounds but more important, I am healthier. But those old habits still creep in once in awhile.

8. Elisabeth Antoine
    August 28, 2010 | 5:05 pm

My eating habits have changed since my son (now 4) was born. I got used to eating anything and everything when I was pregnant and have found it psychologically difficult to revert back to my previous healthy habits. One factor has been lack of time to plan meals and snacks so I tend to grab what I can to make do. (I am a cookbook author, so cooking and meal-planning are not new concepts to me!) As a new mom, sleep deprivation, post-partum depression, isolation, and stress all led to a general lack of pleasure in my life, so I found that food was the only real source of enjoyment. I rejected things like hamburgers, hot dogs, steak, bacon, and all fried foods for many years (I was a dancer and Pilates instructor so health was super important), but I’ve developed a new obsession with comfort foods. Guilt about wasting food is huge for me, so yes, I do typically finish what my son doesn’t eat (unless he is sick and I don’t want to share germs). Another factor is that my husband has started using our son as an excuse to buy more snack foods. We never used to keep chips in the house, but now he will buy tortilla or veggie chips for our son to have occasionally. I don’t mind that our son eats “fun” foods sometimes (although I’ve so far banned candy and soda), but my problem is that I don’t have any willpower. When there are chips in the house, I eat them because they are there. I’m only about 10 lbs over my ideal weight, but I am constantly finding myself falling into less than perfect habits.

Trackback URL http://stopovereatingtips.com/stop-overeating-tips-moms-input/trackback/